Nature's Mouthwash is our unique oil pulling product which has numerous benefits for your oral health. It is available in an 8.5 oz jar, a 15-pack pouch of single-use packets, or in our Nature's Mouthwash Kit. Read on to find out more about this natural alternative to chemical-laden mouthwashes.
What is Nature's Mouthwash?
Nature's Mouthwash, also known as oil pulling, is a great addition to your oral health routine. It has just two natural ingredients, our patented coconut oil plus peppermint essential oil, and has numerous benefits including:
• whitens teeth
• freshens breath
• combats dry mouth
• strengthens gums
• pulls bacteria, debris, and toxins from mouth, and more!
We recommend oil pulling in addition to brushing, as it can remove backteria, debris, and particles that brushing can't reach. We recommend starting with once a week, and swishing for 2 minutes. You can work your way up to 20 minutes daily if you're an overachiever! :)
Does oil pulling work?
Oil pulling is a proven way to remove harmful bacteria, which lead to spreading illness, tooth decay, bad breath, and gum disease. According to a 2016 study, oil pulling reduces the number of bacteria found in saliva, supporting good oral hygiene and decreasing the likelihood of spreading germs. Coconut oil was also found to be a effective natural alternative to chlorhexidine, a topical antiseptic commonly found in mouthwashes. In a 2011 study, it was determined that oil pulling may be an effective, natural alternative for getting rid of bad breath, and works as well as traditional mouthwash. Although swishing your mouth with water can remove as much as 50% of all bacteria in the mouth, oil pulling also helps break down plaque, which leads to tooth decay and cavities. Lastly, oil pulling removes toxins and heavy metals from the whole body, leading to better overall body and skin health.
Things you should know:
- A variety of oils can be used to oil pull. Some of those include coconut, sesame, sunflower, palm, or olive oils. Of these oils, coconut oil is recommended because it is naturally antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory.
- Oil pulling does not replace brushing one's teeth, flossing, and other oral care techniques.
- There are no known risks for oil pulling with coconut oil, other than allergies. (Those with allergies to coconuts or coconut oil should oil pull with another oil.)
Ready to try it?
Now that you have the facts, why not give it a try? We recommend using Nature's Mouthwash once a week to begin, and increase in frequency to daily when comfortable. Our new Nature's Mouthwash Pouch contains 30 single-use packets, which is a great way to start your oil pulling practice.
Here's The Skinny on how to begin oil pulling:
- Oil pulling should take place in the morning, on an empty stomach.
- Place a tablespoon of Nature's Mouthwash in your mouth (made with just 2 ingredients - Skinny Coconut Oil and peppermint essential oil.
- In an upright position, swish the coconut oil around the mouth for 2–20 minutes. (Start small and work your way up!)
- Once finished, spit the oil into the garbage. (Spitting into the sink or toilet can lead to clogging.) Do not swallow or gargle the coconut oil, as the toxins pulled from your teeth should be disposed of.
- Follow with your typical oral routine to maintain good oral health.