February is National Cancer Prevention Awareness month, and we want to dedicate this blog to anyone who is currently battling cancer or knows someone who is. Hopefully the info it contains will help provide even the slightest relief!
Common chemotherapy side effects
One of the most well-known chemotherapy side effects is hair loss. But perhaps almost as common is the side effect of dry skin, which occurs when the layers of the skin lose moisture and oils as a result of chemotherapy drugs such as 5-FU. Dry skin can then lead to cracks, peeling, and even bleeding, especially on joints such as the knuckles or elbows.
Chemotherapy skin care
The best way to care for your skin when going through chemotherapy is to take steps to care for your skin before you even start. This will help you minimize side effects as you go through chemo while also helping you develop the habit of a healthy skin care regimen.
Maintaining this healthy skin care regimen is important throughout chemo because dry skin isn’t just a cosmetic issue. In reality, severely skin can lead to inflammation and make you more susceptible to infections.
Keep your skin hydrated
The most important thing to remember as you go through chemotherapy and are trying to prevent or treat your dry skin is that maintaining moisture in your skin is key. This is how you can do so, according to WebMD:
- Avoid long, hot showers
- Use gentle, fragrance-free products as they contain fewer chemicals and are less likely to irritate you if you’re feeling chemically sensitive
- Use moisturizers such as creams or ointments that have a thicker consistency as they are better at preventing skin dehydration
- Moisturize within 15 minutes of your shower, at night before going to bed, and every time after you wash your hands
Use Skinny & Co. products during chemo
Naturally, Skinny & Co. products are an obvious choice for use as a moisturizer during chemotherapy for the following reasons:
- Studies have shown that coconut oil reduce dryness and can even help people suffering from eczema. Maintaining hydrated skin can also help keep out bacteria.
- Coconut oil has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties which makes it ideal for relieving skin inflammation that can result from dry skin.
- Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids that have antimicrobial properties that can help protect against microorganisms and even fight skin infections.
- Skinny & Co. products contain five ingredients or fewer and are the purest on the market, so you can be sure you aren’t introducing chemicals to your body as it fights through cancer. While many of our products do include essential oils that provide aromatherapy benefits (which you may find helpful for fighting stress during this time if your body is comfortable with them), we also offer fragrance-free products for people who have chemical sensitivity.
As you continue your journey through chemotherapy, we hope our products are able to provide some relief for your dry skin. However, it is important that you maintain close communication with your doctor during this time and keep him informed on any new skin care products you introduce into your daily routine.