There is a diet called the Coconut Oil Diet. It’s a bit like the Atkins diet with the addition of 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil every day. Twenty minutes before mealtime is the best time to take your coconut oil as it will significantly reduce appetite and help you to feel full more quickly and be satisfied with smaller portions.
Use the following guidelines to determine how much oil to consume before each meal:
- 90-130 lbs, use a tablespoon coconut oil before each meal for a total of 3 tablespoons per day.
- 131-180 lbs, use 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil before each meal for a total of tablespoons per day.
- Over 180 lbs, use tablespoons coconut oil before each meal for a total of tablespoons per day.
If ingesting coconut oil straight up a challenge, there are alternative ways to get coconut oil into your diet.
Coconut oil is stable enough to tolerate high cooking temperatures without suffering any changes to the structure of its fats. To benefit from the satiating and metabolism-boosting effects of coconut oil, replace the fats you usually use for cooking your meat and vegetables with coconut oil. You can use coconut oil to stir-fry vegetables or to cook your eggs, salmon, shrimp, chicken or even a steak.
If you're using coconut oil as part of your overall weight loss diet, here are some recipes you can use to cook with coconut oil:
- 115 Delicious Real Food Coconut Oil Recipes
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Tenders
- Coconut Tofu with Spricy Pineapple Dipping Sauce
- Coconut Oil Biscuits
- Chicken and Vegetable Curry Soup
- Tropical Quinoa Pilaf with Coconut, Sweet Potatoes and Kale
- Coconut Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Seared Tuna with Cumin
- Seared Tuna Steaks with Coconut, Corn and Cilantro